We have two formulations for our bars, and the only difference is in the selection of the oils. Our "original" formulation, the one we started with over thirty years ago, uses tallow, coconut oil, and olive oil. That combination of oils creates a bar of soap that is the best we have found in the world. The second formulation that we use to make our bar soap includes palm oil, coconut oil, and olive oil. As you can see, the only difference between the two recipes is a substitution of palm oil for tallow. Both formulations are available in the 4.25 oz. size and in the 2 oz. size, which is especially convenient for travel or guest soap.
Soap is made by reacting oils (which are triglycerides) with a strong alkali or caustic, such as sodium hydroxide. The result of the reaction is soap and glycerine. The art of soap making lies in the selection of the oils used to make it. Every oil creates a soap with a unique character, and the same is true with every mixture of oils. Much experimentation has gone into finding just the right mixture of oils to create the soap that we want to offer to our customers. Sodium hydroxide, the alkali used to make bar soap, creates a soap that doesn't dissolve in water very fast. That is one reason why our bar soap lasts so long in the shower.
Unlike Green Mountain Soap, most commodity soaps are made from 80% tallow and 20% coconut oil and have had the naturally occurring glycerin removed for sale as a separate commodity. Commodity soaps also have additives and preservatives which you won’t find in Green Mountain Soap. Here are some things that are NOT in Green Mountain Soap:
- No colorants. Period. The color of our soap comes naturally from the oils used.
- No bar hardening agents.
- No lather stabilizers or lather enhancers.
- No skin-feel additives like polyacrylates.
- No opacifiers such as titanium dioxide.
- No cocomidopropyl betaine.
- No diethanol amine, no triethanolamine.
- No quaternary ammonium compounds.
- No sequesterants.
- No preservatives, no antibacterial agents, no antiperspirant agents.
- No propylene glycol. No sorbitol.
- No cocoyl isethionate, no linear alkyl benzene sulfonate, no sodium lauryl sulfonate, and no sodium lauryl ether sulfonate, either. No detergents at all.
- No coconut EDTA, no trisodium EDTA, no tetrasodium EDTA, no sodium editronate—no EDTA at all.
- No triclocarban, no triclosan.
- No sodium citrate, no disodium cocamide monoethanolamine sulfosuccinate or cetyl alcohol, either.
- And finally, no hydroxypropyl trimonium chloride.
Once again, our soap is: gluten free, latex free, casein free, free of all parabens including methylparaben, alcohol free, free of artificial colors and dyes. Our bath and liquid soaps contain no mineral oil or petroleum, no aluminum or alum, no sodium lauryl sulfate and no pesticides. Our soaps are all-natural. For additional information, see our Allergen Disclosure Sheet . Green Mountain Soap is not and has never been tested on animals. All of our products are proudly made in the Green Mountains of Vermont, USA